Our Ultimate Packing List for Au Pairs is fully illustrated on our Pinterest board.
Pssst! Packing light doesn't have to hurt. It's just about choosing quality over quantity. You'd be surprised how few things you actually need but how essential those few things actually are. Or something. Anyway, spare yourself the nose bleed and let us do your thinking for you. Here's our list for Spring/Summer 2013.
Put these on your body
- Light weight skirt, blouse and blazer combo
- Summer shoes
- Light weight pashmina
Put these in your carry on (that's hand luggage, dude)
- Flight details/ticket
- Credit/Debit Card
- Euros for the first week
- Driver's licence
- Insurance details
- Contact details of your host family
- Smart phone or cheapo phone that has been unlocked
- Hard drive backing up all your business, sentimental stuff, important documents, language classes etc
- Digital camera
- Chargers for all your electronic goodies (you spoiled brat)
- pen and paper
- Medication you would die without
- Jewellery you would die without
- Non liquid make-up you would scare small children without. Read more about airport security rules here.
- Hairbrush/comb and small mirror if you're the high maintenance type
Put these in your wheelie suitcase
- Your Au Pair Capsule Wardrobe
- Underwear that is respectable enough to hang on the family's washing line
- Small presents/bribes for your host family
- Mini versions of your liquid toiletries and cosmetics
- Adaptor plugs
- 1 pack of tampons/sanitary towels
- Supply of contraception
- Small bottle of sunscreen
- Mini manicure/pedicure kit and 1 nail varnish
- Razors for the first week
- Hair straighteners/dryer if you have crazy person hair without
Have a great trip!
Read our blog post Flashpacker, backpacker or chavpacker?
Back to resources for au pairs